My Wedding is Mine

Friday, September 08, 2006

Band- it

So my friend sarah - who should defintiely join the blog due to her wedding wisdom (she's been in something like 15 weddings and attended another zillion) - informs me that the key to a good wedding is the band - you must have a band, no dj.

First I'd like for her to elaborate on why.

my issue is this - there will assuredly be karaoke. no question. However, due to the semi-reasonalbe size of my wedding, the hotel that the reception is at will allow me to put dancing and karaoke on anthoer level (hence the ladies can spend the night there getting trashed without the peering eyes of real adults).

but for the rehersal itself I can see why the band is key - the blue hairs like it. and you have to do that dance with the husband (damn I need to learn how to dance?) - and one needs music upstairs for that.

both? is it just too much? and what kind of band would I get? jazz or something?

5 Comments:

  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger ms. AB said…

    yes, but do you want your bridal dance to be to a cover of your favorite romantic song or the actual song? you're gonna have to get one kick ass band to make you overlook the fact that it's some guy from worcester singing and not ella fitzgerald (insert inimitable songstress here).

    not that i'm against a band, but can you have the capability of playing recorded stuff too?

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger me said…

    a band would be classy but a dj would be more fun and then you can pick what mood/music.

    i m with ms ab--can you have both>

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Bird said…

    Both feels a little overdone-- your wedding isn't large enough to support that many (unless you have substantially changed the size of the guest list since we last chatted). With only ~100 people, splitting them into different rooms will just make each room feel flat and empty.

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger ms. AB said…

    ooooh, bird swoops in with crucial information. how bout some classy live music through dinner (strings? the nordstrom's piano guy? ambient steel drums?) and then loosening up later with more contempo dj guy once the blue hairs have dozed off?

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Simon said…

    Here's my 2 cents: a klezmer band.
    (If you haven't seen it rent "Dummy"; Adrian Brody and a grunge klezmer band.)
    I realize this won't happen but how much fun would it be for your and J to be carried around on chairs to the ironic romantic stylings of 'hava nagilla"?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home