My Wedding is Mine

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

themes


My mother is mostly allowed to do what she wants with this wedding. fair enough.

I mentioned calla lilies as a favorite flower of mine in the hopes that she would be chill with those as a componant of my flowers.

she has taken this to heart and would like to make calla lilies "the theme" of the wedding. I'm not sure I'm really into themes - and what theme cocktail could I serve as a result?

I mean there could be worse - butterflies or something - at least callas are semi-understated. frankly I'm probably going to let my mom go to town on this one but there need to be limits right? perhaps a calla reference on the cake - and if favors were involved (which I really don't give a crap about) I suppose a favor related to callas would be ok - but can't it go too far? pillows? pen set? toasting glasses? really?

7 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger ms. AB said…

    at least calla theme leaves you wide open to select your own drink, right? just a quick internet search reveals a shocking amount of calla wedding garbage. if at all possible keep her away from the internet. the calla lily does pose an interesting motif for the ubiquitous ice sculpture (another way you should save money). careful your mom doesn't let this info leak out or the fam will be getting calla dishes and silver (it all exists, it's all out there). in general though hooray for a mom who listened to somethng you suggested and thinks it's a good idea. this is sooo not my experience of moms and weddings.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger vp said…

    yeah - I will say that I mention very little and she seems to be chill with the few things I've said - calla lillies -

    she's planning a bridal shower with some tea cup thing that I don't understand - but whatever - we're having our own shower and I'm happy to have one with my mom's ladies as well.

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger ms. AB said…

    corny but, i found this...
    something with lillet, that you could call a calla lillet. start with a traditional lillet cocktail (what does this stuff taste like anyway?)

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger vp said…

    I found a good cocktail - I think - it looks easy and palatable.

    I'll create an entire post on cocktails sometime soon.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Lady Z said…

    From a concerned reader without a Blogger user name:

    I used to make a drink for an older (dare is say) Lady called the White Lily. It is comprised of the following:
    3/4 oz. Light Rum
    3/4 oz. Gin (preferably Hendricks for it's light rose/cucumber taste)
    3/4 oz. Triple Sec (Grand Mar.)
    1/4 tsp. anisette.

    If served in a martini glass one could conceivably rename this drink the white calla. Also, I would like to mention as the child of florists that the calla lily is my favorite flower and is much preferred to the crap most people put in their weddings(especially down south)

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger vp said…

    I think it might be time to do the cocktail post. everyone is more interested in this than any other issue.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Lady Z said…

    And a flower post?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home