My Wedding is Mine

Monday, September 18, 2006

Gown Shopping: Day 1

Well, the bride-to-be (hereafter b2b) and I ventured to Newbury St. Friday and saw some really suprisingly VERY BAD DRESSES. But there were some high points of the day:
1. We blundered upon a tiny third-floor boutique devoted bridesmaids dresses in a variety of cool minimalist cuts (though mostly strapless to b2b's chagrin). Possibly worth a future appointment with any bridesmaids visiting MA.
2. Excellent italian lunch of bolognese, a prosciutto panino and two good wines marked "il bastardo".
3. Sadly, NO weddingware at Louis but I love that place.
4. Fascinating gown clearance sale at Filenes (going out of business to become Macy's).
b2b TRIED ON for the first time: a minimal light-mocha (this year's 'hot' color?) drapey sequined strapless that cost an amazingly paltry $300. [It was suggested that b2b buy it and either pocket the savings for first-class honeymoon or put it in the closet for future evening-ware opportunity).

As a first attempt to suvey the dress territory this was a modestly dissapointing foray but as a Ladies day-on-the-town and a subtle softening of the shock of the b2b looking herself in the mirror in a dress, a bonafide success!

7 Comments:

  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger vp said…

    I was horrified at the dresses we saw at places I expected to be high level. I'm going to make appointments next time to get a better idea of what the "real dresses are" - but next time I want to ask about designers whe nI make appointments - if they don't carry any of the designers I like then I'm going to blow them off.

    it was SO disturbing.

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger me said…

    uh, is there no vera wang in boston? i m telling you my friend use to say that boston was not a good shopping town since it did not have it s own prada store. you might have to head to ny for the dress!

    why the hell isn t simon on top of this? regardless of whether you end up with a vera wang, you have to look at them. it would be like shopping for ring without stopping at tiffany s.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Simon said…

    There IS Vera Wang in Boston but it was clear an appointment was necessary and this was just a low-level starting survey. I agree, she should be looked at for sure.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger vp said…

    I found a place today called "yolanda" which sounds trashy but it's in waltham and rated quite highly and surprisingly has a lot of the designers I like - my sister carol is going to be visiting in late october so I think that carol, simon and I should make and appointment for yolanda on one of the days she's here.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Simon said…

    Sounbs great, yo!
    When is Carol coming?

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger ms. AB said…

    don't your bridal magazines (you DO have them, don't you?) simply bombard you with the names of stores and designers?

    of course, who wouldn't want to wear vera wang (i tried desperately to talk my sister into vw for the bridesmaids dresses) but it was not an expense we could condone given the look alike dresses that were available.

    tell them simon is your wedding planner. he should throw a tantrum to prove it. also get an earpiece/headset for his cell phone

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger vp said…

    YES -- earpiece! I'm dying!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home