My Wedding is Mine

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I don't

How does one say no?

I am pretty comfortable negociating everything about this wedding with few exceptions. One of them is the dress.

This friday I begin the first serious wedding dress search. This time I have an appointment to try-on. I'm going with Simon and my mother.

How do I get out of being pushed into getting a dress that everyone else likes but Idon't - and more importantly, how do I avoid getting pushed into a dress I don't want from the sales people.

I don't want them pushing strapless dresses on me - I don't want that. And I don't want them top push me into a derss $1000 more than I want to spend.

strategies?

4 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger vp said…

    that is SO goods to know -

    I will defintely research before buying.

    in this day and age these stores are stupid to do that.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger me said…

    going with other people is definitely a good idea.

    i would say, tell them right away you don t like strapless and if they insist go somewhere else or tell them to get you another salesperson.

    remember sometimes alterations are made and that is fine but if you really like a dress but it seems too many things need to be altered then it is not the dress for you.

    ask about a return policy if that exists for wedding dresses. i am not sure.

    i have a feeling gettng dresses is about 100 times worse than shopping for jeans. good luck!

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger ms. AB said…

    get in touch with your inner bridezilla. be polite but firm. channel martha or some other stoic lady.

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger vp said…

    the first dress outing went well - and while I tried on a ton of stuff I never would've looked at on the rack - I didn't find anything that I loved - except a dress that looked crappy on me.

    Dresses these days are so huge - even the a-lines which are supposed to be somewhat more minimal. Sadly this is the style that looks best on me so I'm probably going to break down and go that route.

    As for non-strapless - it severely limits options. I asked to try on a boatneck - at a boutique that is rated one of the best in boston - and HUGE - the saleperson said there isn't a single dress of that style in the entire store.

    tragic. but I need to find something in the next month since the dresses take up to 8 months to arrive. damn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home